Thursday, January 30, 2014

QR Codes


To make my QR code I used a website called qrstuff.com. I tried using the website you link, but when I did I got a warning that it's a scam. I use a Chrome addon called Web of Trust. This warns you about websites with a bad reputation that they get from being a scam or hosting malware. The nice thing about qrstuff is the amount of features it has and how easy it is to use. You can make website specific codes for stuff like YouTube or google maps. This is so the QR reader can easily identify what app the code should be associated with. On this site you can also change the color or get it printed on merchandise.

QR codes can be good for lots of things. When I was at CES the company I was working for used them to share their product catalog with people. I've also seen it used on posters to link to important information or something like a service evaluation card, but digital. They can also be helpful on business cards. Web designers like to use them to link to their online portfolio. The main problem I found is that it can be kind of clunky to pull out your phone, open the app, wait for it to scan, then open. So I think NFC tags are much more useful. NFC is the same technology that you see with Tap-to-Pay on phones. You're able to just hover or touch your phone on something and it does the same thing QR codes can do and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment