Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Search Engines

Search Engines

My main search engine I use is actually called DuckDuckGo. Google and Bing are both useful, but if you are a person who cares about privacy like me DuckDuckGo is perfect. The main problem I find when I try alternate search engines are the search results are not nearly as helpful as google. Their algorithm is just too refined and I'm able to find what I need much quicker. But with DDG you can use it as sort of a proxy search where you can use the tools of other sites, but use them through the privacy of DuckDuckGo. By adding query operators you can search Google with !g, Yahoo with !y, Bing with !b, etc. The main selling point of DDG is the fact that they don't store any search info about you or any other personal data. DDG keeps improving with what they call DuckDuckHack as well. Programmers are able to write tools so that DDG can provide instant answers when you search, like Google Cards on their search. I've included the intro video for DuckDuckGo below. All these search engines I use mainly as a means to get to another website or a quick answer. Wolfamalpha doesn't really do this for me. I mainly use it more as an app to get information or calculate data, not search for website. I'm constantly blown away by how many things it can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment